10 Fun Things to do With Your Kids at Christmas
When my babies were newborn, I imagined them coming down the hall all grown up. I knew it would go fast, and it did. I wanted to make every day count, and although I wanted them all to stay home until they were married, most of them left by age 18.
Parenting is a lot of day in and out drudgery. We get tired, run out of ideas, and sometimes we just want to take it easy. But we were designed to live as creative beings and we desperately want our kids to keep thinking we’re awesome, like the Dad who gave his son’s Stanley Train a ride into space. But even if you’re not as techie as he is, here are 10 really fun things to do with your kids. Lots of us have extra time off work and school time right now…
- Invite friends over for a serious paper plane competition. Do a little research, do some experimenting, and have a contest for the best tricks, distance and time aloft.
- Get your family lost in a snow globe
- Camp out under the Christmas tree- Have the whole family sleep under the Christmas tree or Hanukkah lights. It’s one of our favorite family memories.
- Go guerilla. Commit random, anonymous acts of kindness with your child, or go to a local food ministry and serve meals together for the homeless.
- Take apart a toaster that’s no longer working, or a radio or CD player. Cut off the electrical cord and get out a screwdriver.
- Make glitter playdoh or use the bright fluorescent food colors now at every drug store.
- Send holiday cards to our troops
- Take a map, a GPS, and go geocaching
- Winter stargazing is nice for children who go to bed early. Learn a few of the stories about the stars, take sleeping bags, binoculars, and snacks and go stargazing.
- Make your own bucket list of all the things you want to do with your kids before they leave home. Ask them to help.